People prefer to hide their profile picture if they are sharing their computer and they do not want others to see their profile pictures while sharing it. So, one of the reasons people hide is for privacy concerns.
Also, some people want for cleaner and less cluttered looks so they like to remove profile pictures.
So, let's look at how to hide the Chrome profile icon. Please note that there might be slight variations in steps depending on the version of Chrome you are using.
Changing Profile Avatar
Here are the steps:
1. Click on the Profile icon at the top right corner
2. Click on the Pencil icon.
3. Then scroll down and under Pick an Avatar select any emoji you like and it will get reflected on your profile icon at the top right corner.
Switching as Guest User
1. Click on the Profile icon at the top right corner.
2. Then click on Guest.
This will open a new Chrome Window without your profile picture. You can set any built-in cartoon picture later with above mention steps.
Using a Flag
1. In the address bar of Chrome type "chrome://flags" and press Enter
2. Then search for a flag called "UI Layout for the browser's top chrome"
3. Under the dropdown select "Normal"
4. Then click on the "Relaunch Now" button.
These are the few methods but the best one depends on user preferences.