DLNA stands for Digital Living Network Alliance. As the name suggests, it is an alliance. It is an alliance of multiple companies working It is an industry-standard that allows sharing of media over a local network. Such media is shared between devices that are connected to the same network. There are multiple reasons why you’d need DLNA. We will be taking a look at some of them below.
Why do I need DLNA?
DLNA is primarily used for media streaming purposes. DLNA allows you to share photos, videos, and music across multiple devices connected to the same network. This makes it easier to access and enjoy your media across various devices. This all happens over a wireless network. Therefore, it eliminates the need for cables and wires.
It also makes media content streaming seamless. Since it’s wireless, it is a convenient way to enjoy your media content across your home. Overall, DLNA provides a simple and effective way to share and stream media content across different devices. It is widely used in home entertainment systems. If you have multiple devices connected to your home network, DLNA can be a valuable tool to help you access and enjoy media even from the TV in your bathroom.
Streaming Youtube through DLNA
Broadcasting Youtube from windows means streaming or transmitting video content from Youtube to a DLNA-certified device. The devices include smart TV, set-top box, game console, etc. This allows us to view youtube videos on a larger screen over the local router. By using the DLNA Protocol, devices can communicate with each other and share files easily. Eliminating the need for cables or any additional hardware.
How to Broadcast from Windows to DLNA
Now, the first thing that you’re going to need when broadcasting Youtube from windows to DLNA is… Windows and a DLNA Capable device. After that, you’ll have to make sure that all the devices that you’re working with are connected to the same network. Now, follow the steps below.
- Open Control Panel on your windows device
- Click on Network and Internet
- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Head over to the “Change advanced Settings” option
- Take a look at the options, you’ll see “Turn on Network Sharing”. Click on it. This is so that your device will be visible to other devices in the same network.
- Also, "Turn on file and printer sharing". This is so that your videos can be played on the TV.
- Repeat the same steps for the rest of the profiles that have been highlighted.
- Click on “Save Changes”.
In this part, you have made your computer capable of sharing media. Now, for the next part, we’ll learn how to start the DLNA Server where you’ll share media. For that, follow the steps given below. We pick up right where we left off in step 8.
- Go to advanced sharing settings under Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center
- Expand “All networks”
- Click on “Choose Media Streaming Options”
- This starts your DLNA media server.
- When you see the option, click “Turn on Media Streaming”
- Here, you can also grant or deny permissions to specific services.
- Keep the video you want to play in the videos folder.
This helps us broadcast general videos that are available offline to DLNA. However, we want to broadcast Youtube to DLNA as well. So, let’s take a look at how that works.
Broadcasting Youtube to DLNA from Windows
You can broadcast youtube to DLNA-enabled devices. For that, you will have to follow the given steps.
- Make sure that the Windows device is connected to the same wifi network as the destination device.
- Open Youtube in the Edge browser and select the video you want to broadcast.
We are choosing edge here because it has a built-in Cast Option that makes DLNA Streaming easy.
- When you see the option, click on the Cast icon in the bottom right corner of the video player.
- From the list of available devices, select your DLNA device.
- The video should now start playing on your device.
If you don’t want to deal with all the hassle of having to go to settings and make all the changes mentioned, you can use alternative options. One of the best alternatives is Plex. Plex works in Windows, MacOS as well as Linux. Here’s how to set it up.
- Go to the Plex Website.
- Download the app for your OS. I use Pop!OS. Therefore, I downloaded Ubuntu (16.04+) / Debian (8+) - Intel/AMD 64-bit version.
- Once downloaded, install the app and log in. I used my google account to log in for convenience.
- This is what the landing page looks like.
- Set up plex. After setting up, you can use Plex to cast to DLNA-capable devices.
- Open the plex app on your DLNA-enabled device and select the Youtube Channel from your library.
You can also try third-party software called Serviio. The steps are as follows:
- Install Serviio on Windows.
- Select "Library" from Serviio's top menu.
- Click "Add" and pick "Online Source".
- Enter the YouTube video URL and hit "Add".
- Choose your DLNA-compatible encoder.
DLNA-compatible devices should now play the movie.
Here, we learned how to stream simple videos over DLNA. If the methods worked and you found value in this article, consider buying me a cup of coffee. Glad to have been of any help.