What happens if I block someone on Truecaller?
Truecaller is an app used by millions of people worldwide to identify incoming calls. It is not only used for this one purpose but is also used to learn about phone numbers in general. It helps us identify the origin country of numbers and track spam calls as well. But, if you have used the app for a while, you might have noticed that little “block” button on every contact. Let’s take a deep dive into what this button does and what blocking someone entails in the app.
What happens when you block someone?
When you block someone on Truecaller, the app moves that caller to the block list on Truecaller. After that, if the app has the right permissions, it will restrict calls coming from that number. This is how the notification looks when someone’s blocked on Truecaller and they are trying to call us.
On the other end of the call, the person that is trying to call you will get a random message. The message will usually read, “The subscriber you’re trying to reach is unavailable at the moment”. You won’t get a ring. However, the user isn’t notified that they have been blocked. The blocked user will also be able to send messages.
Note: Removing someone from the contact list does not mean that they can’t call you. They can do phone calls and sms as well.
How to block or unblock someone on Truecaller
If you don’t know how to block or unblock someone, we’ll guide you through that process as well. Just follow the guide mentioned below.
How to block someone?
If you want to block someone, simply go through the following step-by-step instructions:
- Open the Truecaller app
- Look for the contact you want to block
- Select the “Block” option
- The following questions will be asked to you when you block someone, fill it out as you want to. (I left everything blank for testing purposes)
- It also gives the option to block receiving messages from said person. Select the option you prefer.
- Select “Dismiss” when it says “Number added to block list”
- You’ll be able to see the following when you try to look for a blocked contact on Truecaller.
Suppose that you don’t have the person’s number saved. Now how do we block someone like that? Let’s take a look:
- Open the Truecaller App
- On the bottom right corner, select the “Blocking” tab
- Scroll down until you see the “Block Someone Manually” section
- Here, you will be able to block according to Phone Number or Message sender name. You’ll also be able to block entire country codes and number series.
- Fill in the right information and select the “Block” option.
How to unblock someone?
If you have blocked someone or want to unblock a blocked number for some reason, you can follow the given steps:
- Look for the contact that you’ve blocked
- Select the blocked contact name from the list
- Inside the blocked contact tab, look for the “Unblock” option and touch it
- When prompted with the following, select the “Unblock” option
- You’ll be able to see the “block” option again and the person has been unblocked successfully.
- Go to the “Blocking” tab on the bottom right Truecaller app
- Scroll down until you see the “Manage Block List” Option, then tap on it.
- Here, you’ll be able to see blocked numbers and beside them, there is a circular icon
- Tap on the circular icon of the number you want to unblock
- When prompted, select the Yes option. The person will be unblocked after that.
When you block another user on Truecaller, that user's calls and messages will no longer be able to reach you, and the blocked user will not be informed that they have been blocked.
Here are some frequently asked questions related to blocking someone on Truecaller.
You cannot. The only way to unblock yourself from another person’s phone is to contact them in other ways. And then, you can request them to unblock you.
Yes, the blocked user can see our profile as well as our active status.
Yes. A blocked user can search for your number and take a look at your profile.