What is S Mode?
S Mode in Windows 11 is a security feature that allows you to install apps only from Microsoft Store. This Mode helps you to protect your computer from malware and security threats.
There are many Windows OS that are in S Mode some of them are:
- Windows 11 Home in S mode
- Windows 11 Pro in S mode
- Windows 10 Home in S mode
- Windows 10 Pro in S mode
- Windows 10 Pro Education in S mode
Table of Contents
Benefits of S Mode
Some other benefits of using S Mode are:
- Increased Security by protecting against threats.
- Improved Performance by reducing startup time, improved battery life, etc.
- Simplified User Experience with fewer distractions and easier navigation.
- Easy to manage by IT and parents.
Drawback of using S Mode
Some drawbacks of using S Mode are :
- You may not install apps from outside the Microsoft store. So, you may not be able to install apps that are not in the Microsoft store.
- Cannot change the default browser from Microsoft Edge.
Let's look at how to check whether your PC is in S Mode or not.
Here are the steps:
- Goto search and type Settings and Select Settings from the list.
- On the left pane click on System
- Then on the middle panel at the bottom, Select About
- Then under Windows Specification, in the Edition row, you will find your Windows edition.
If you are looking for secure and easy-to-use Windows 11 then you can use S mode. However, if you want to install apps from outside Microsoft Store then you have to disable it.
Goto search and type System Information and Select System Information from the list.
Then under OS name, you will get the name of OS. In my case, it is Microsoft Windows 11 Home in S Mode as shown below.
Disable or Remove S Mode in Windows 11
Let's look at how to disable or remove S Mode in Windows 11.
- Open Settings
- Then System
- Then Activation.
- In the "Switch to Windows 11 Pro" section, select "Go to the Store." or "Open Store" Enter Microsoft Password.
- Then this will take you to Microsoft Store where you may need to click on the Get button.
- Now Windows will switch out of S mode.
How to Switch it back after turning it Off?
If you want to switch it back then you can do it only once by following the below steps:
- Goto Settings
- Goto System
- Goto About
- Then under "Windows Specifications", click the "Switch to S mode" button
- Then restart your PC.
Things to keep in mind
These are the point you have to keep in mind before installing apps outside of the Microsoft Store.
- Always install apps from trusted websites only like developer websites or any reputable downloading sites.
- Do some research before installing any apps on your Windows PC.
- Read the app review.
- Reads the app requirement before installing.
- Always make your System up to date.
- Always keep your Antivirus up to date.
What are the things that can and cannot be changed in S Mode?
If you are in S Mode then you can change the Start menu, taskbar, wallpaper, audio settings, power settings, etc. But you cannot change like the default web browser (by default it is Microsoft Edge),