WhatsApp was founded on February 24, 2009. Meta (formerly Facebook) acquired WhatsApp on February 19, 2014. The ability to back up WhatsApp data to Google Drive was first introduced in April 2015. This feature allowed Android users to back up their chats, photos, and videos to their Google Drive accounts. This made it easier to switch to a new device and restore their data.
The feature was well-received by users and has since become a standard part of the WhatsApp experience for Android users. However, it's worth noting that WhatsApp backups on iOS are stored on iCloud rather than Google Drive.
Where can I find my Whatsapp Backup?
In the case of Android, you will be storing your data in google drive for backup. In the case of IOS devices, you will store your data in iCloud. Here, I will be looking at google drive. So, here’s how you can find your WhatsApp backups in Google Drive.
- Open Google Drive
- On the left menu, click on “Storage”
- Here, you will see files stored as such.
- On the top right of this page, you should be able to see “Backups” as shown below.
Checking this helps ensure that we have the backups that we need. This means that we can proceed with the process of recovering those backups. Let’s get to the phone and the process we’ll have to follow there.
Before starting to backup keep the following things in mind:
- Use the same phone to backup and restore.
- Use the same phone number otherwise restoring a backup will not be possible.
- Do not deletes any chats or media from Whatsapp because they will not be restored from the backup.
How to restore my WhatsApp backup?
Open WhatsApp on the phone. If you have newly installed the application, you should see a menu that looks like this.
After that, follow the steps given below.
- Select the Language of your choice on the welcome page. After that, you should see a page that looks like this.
- You will see a page that looks like this
Enter your phone number here and you’ll be sent to the next page
- On this page, you are supposed to put in the code that comes to your phone through messages. Whatsapp automatically detects this code and fills it up for you. This is how it looks to me.
- After this, WhatsApp will ask for access to media and contacts. Press “Continue”.
- Now, WhatsApp will look for backups you have.
- If you have previous backups, WhatsApp will automatically detect them and allow you to choose between restoring or skipping this process.
- If you click “Restore”, the app will start downloading the backup files automatically and restoring your previous chats.
- After that, you will be redirected to WhatsApp’s main page. And it will restore the media files that you backed up.
- Unloaded messages will look as such.
Method 2: Restore old Whatsapp backup from Google Drive (Includes Reinstalling Steps)
To restore an old WhatsApp backup from Google Drive,
- You should first uninstall WhatsApp from your phone.
- Then download and reinstall it.
- Afterward, when prompted to restore a backup
- Select Google Drive, sign in with the Google account used to create the backup,
- Select the backup you wish to restore. Finally, wait for the restoration process to complete.
Actually, this depends on the size of the backup and the speed of your internet connection.
This is the process to backup WhatsApp backups from google drive. I hope this article was able to clear up any confusion. Check out our Youtube Channel for visual tutorials and guides. If this article helped you consider buying me a coffee from the button below. Have a good day.